Box 7 Ministries is led by believers in Christ who are also passionate about the marching music arts. Our vision is that staff would be directly serving a drum corps organization or locally mentoring drum corps members and leaders. Curious about how to become a partner with this ministry? More information here.
Central Box 7 Staff
Our full-time staff are supported and employed through our partner organization, Reliant Mission.
Evan Woods Executive Director of Box 7 Ministries
- Evan grew up in Ohio and graduated from Abilene Christian University in Abilene, Texas, with a music education degree and business minor. He lives in Denton, Texas, is a member of The Village Church in Denton, and has participated church-based training programs in biblical counseling (The Village Church), missions (Perspectives on the World Christian Movement), and theology (Denton Bible Church).
- In DCI, Evan is working for Music City Drum Corps for 2018 on the administrative team. He worked for Legends in 2017 as a member leadership consultant, and Carolina Crown from 2012-2016, in roles of brass instruction, communications, and administration. He marched the Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps in 2004 and 2006, then worked for Crossmen in 2008-2011 as the assistant tour director and volunteer coordinator. He started the Drum Corps Food Network on Facebook. Since 2008, he has worked with the Marcus High School Marching Band in Flower Mound, Texas. He also taught for 3 years with the band at Liberty Christian School in Argyle, Texas.
Karl Koemmpel Associate Director
- Karl is from Bremerton, Washington and graduated from Central Washington University, where he studied music and was active as a leader with the Chi Alpha campus ministry. He began raising support in the fall of 2014 to work with Box 7. In August 2015, he moved to Denton, TX to finish raising support and begin full-time ministry focused on evangelism, discipleship, and training leaders at the University of North Texas. He completed the Denton Bible Church men’s theology training program in 2016, and now is a member at The Village Church in Denton.
- In DCI, Karl teaches visual and marching. For 2018 he is joining the Blue Stars. He taught at the Crossmen for 2014-2017. Me marched mellophone with Seattle Cascades from 2010-2011 and then Blue Devils in 2012, aging out in 2013. He has experience teaching with high school band programs on the west coast, and enjoys performing on french horn.
Partnership Staff (Future)
Partnership Staff with Box 7 are full-time or part-time staff for other churches, college, or high school ministries. Partnership Staff will generally have experience in the marching music arts and serve actively in outreach and discipleship for young adults in DCI, WGI, or other marching music groups in their community.
Central Volunteer Staff
Zach Ashcraft, Media
- Zach lives in Flower Mound, TX with his wife Lea. He graduated from the University of Denver with a degree in trumpet performance. He marched from 2007-2010 at Blue Stars, aging out as a drum major in 2010. He was on tour staff at Crossmen for 2011-2013, and also creates multimedia for the Blue Stars. He completed a Production Internship at The Village Church, and is building a freelance photography business in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Visit Zach’s Website to see more of his work, or book him for a session. Zach is also the acclaimed director of the Couchmen Drum & Bugle Corps.
Pita Lerma, Connecting Administration and College Ministry
- Pita was assistant drum major at Genesis in 2016, tour intern at Crossmen in 2017, and is returning in 2018 on the Crossmen administrative team. She attends North Texas Central College, finishing an associates degree in psychology. During college, she has served as a leader with Fellowship of Christian University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) in the Denton TX area and mentors women from DCI and Box 7 regularly.
Jake Thiede, Media and College Ministry
- Jake marched Blue Stars in 2013, and moved to Denton in 2016 to pursue a Ph.D in Music Composition at the University of North Texas. He graduated from Murray State University in Kentucky with a degree in music education, and received a master’s in music composition from University of North Carolina – Greensboro. He volunteers with The Village Church in Denton for worship & audio production, as well as for audio and music needs with Box 7. Jake serves with ministry for Box 7 at UNT by hosting Bible studies for student composition majors and assisting with gatherings and events for local ministry.
Sammi Whitwell, Media and College Ministry
- Sammi aged out of DCI in 2017 from three years marching the Crossmen colorguard, and graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in film. She is passionate about sharing peoples’ stories through media and helping non-profits and ministries make a difference in the world. She plans to pursue graduate school later in 2018 for a masters’ degree in public relations. She is part of Denton North Church, was a leader with Fellowship of Christian University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) at UNT and mentors students from Box 7 in the Denton TX area.
Alicia Conrad Women’s Ministry Resources
- Alicia was on staff with Box 7 from 2012-2016 and now works full-time for RightNow Ministries in McKinney, TX as a content writer.
- Alicia is from Sioux Falls, South Dakota and graduated from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. She now lives in Dallas, Texas and is member of The Village Church, having served as a sponsor in the Recovery program, and completed the church’s Theological Training Program.
- Alicia taught the 2013-2015 seasons on the Visual Staff at Phantom Regiment. She marched trumpet at Phantom Regiment from 2005-2008, then served as an assistant tour director in 2010 and 2011. She has been a marching technician at the Marcus High School Marching Band in Flower Mound, Texas. As an elementary music teacher, Alicia taught in Richardson ISD and Northwest ISD. She was also a cast member in the 2008 Japan tour of Odyssey: Brass Angels.
Box 7 Staff Are Supported Through:
Reliant partners with missional churches and Gospel-centered nonprofits to mobilize support-based missionaries for the Great Commission.
Reliant is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization for missions employment and approved by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
Board of Directors for Box 7 Ministries
We have begun the process of revising vision and strategy for Box 7 Ministries, and plan to employ help from Auxano to assist with that development. Our board will be restructured, and we are recruiting new people to be involved in advisory or board positions.
The main need of our board and advisory team is expertise in building an agile, healthy organization that is focused on national impact of serving and discipleship through Drum Corps International.
Here are additional specific needs:
- Communications and multi-media resource development
- Preparing the Box 7 Foundation to become a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization to support the programs and resources of the ministry (this is separate from staffing through Reliant Mission)
- Locations and hospitality for low-cost or free retreats to host drum corps members and staff in spiritual formation experiences
- Real-estate and financial/fundraising expertise for a unique opportunity with ministry housing in Denton TX (potential partnership with Lightbearers: Discipling Students. Funding Missions.)
- Local help in DFW/Denton with office and housing improvements for ministry spaces
If you are interested in getting know more about Box 7 and serving in some capacity for the organization, please send an email to email@example.com